Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday nights...

Sunday night again. Where did the weekend go?? Sunday is not my favorite day of the week for several reasons, but Sunday nights are the worst. Nothing fun to look forward to. Another long Monday in store uniform (a lovely side benefit of working at AutoZone), then a crazy busy week. Sigh...this is why I LOVE three day weekends - just for the relief on Sunday nights knowing I still have one more day of freedom!! Oh well. It could always be worse, so I should stop complaining. At least I get weekends off.



This past work week was a little on the hectic side, but it was fun. It was AutoZone's National Sales Meeting, which means we had about 800 AutoZoners in from across the country. I had several volunteer opportunites, which included checking people in at hotels, welcoming them to Mud Island for games night, and making sure people knew where to go for lunch and so forth.



Saturday, I did something totally unique - I went to Clanjamfry, at Evergreen Presbyterian Church in midtown. This was a great cultural event, with Scottish dancing and Scottish food and bagpipes and men in kilts and - well, you get the picture. Leslie (my niece, for any non-family readers) and I had such fun time. I wish I had remembered to bring my camera! I resisted buying the expensive wool knit hat from the vendors that had their sheep with them (talk about your authenticity!) although I really wanted it at the time!!! It would have been tres chic, if I actually ever wore hats in the winter. We sampled Scottish Meat Pie (a small pastry with hamburger meat inside) and Scottish Shortbread. Both were good. I absolutely drew the line at trying the haggis, though. Even though I can't remember now exactly what haggis is, I have heard enough before to know it is something that will never cross my lips! I think I put it automatically on the "never eat" list, and then forced myself to forget the details. (Some other foods on this list include tongue, tripe, and beef liver. I have at least tried the liver before, so my distaste for it legitimate. The others just sound too gross to even contemplate!)



Anyway, that was really all I accomplished Saturday. I sat on the couch and simultaneously read a book and watched college football. So productive. Today I went to Church and then went over to family dinner. The airshow was in Millington this weekend, so I was awakened from my nap first by Chris wanting to know if I wanted to go with them to watch the Blue Angels, and then by the Blue Angels themselves as they buzzed over the house. Let me tell you, those puppies are LOUD! There is no mistaking that sound. It is really cool, because Susie and Randy's house is right in the flight path for a lot of the planes' maneuvers. There is something literally breathtaking about seeing a F/A-18 appear out of nowhere right over your head. We all sit out in the front yard and enjoy the excitement. Its the cheap way of taking in the air show!



By the way, in case you were wondering, the Cubbies are still in first, now with a 3.5 game lead over the Milwaukee Brewers. Woot woot!!! I'm breathing a little easier, as the season is coming to an end. The magic number is 4 for us to clinch the division title. For those of you that do not speak baseball, the magic number is the number of wins/losses necessary for us to win the NL Central title. This means that any combination of four Cub wins/Brewer losses will clinch this for us. Tomorrow the Cubs don't play, but the Brewers do. If they lose, our magic number shrinks to three! So, go Cubbies! Down with the Brewers!!

No comments: